Visiting the unusual Bone Chapel at Evora in Alentejo, Portugal
If you thought you’d seen everything in your life, then places like Evora in Portugal will make you think again! The 40,000 skeletons within Evora’s bone chapel welcome you, quite literally, with open arms. It’s a unique learning experience that our kids will never forget!
Every region should have Something special
- Convento dos Lóios – A former monastry that can provide a decent meal now (as a pousada)
- Sé – Evora’s Cathedral
- Praça do Giraldo – the main fountain in the high street that has lasted from 1571 to the present day
- Rua 5 de Outubro – If you love handmade products from cork, check these oldy worldy shops out!
- Roman Temple – created to worship Diana, it is perhaps the oldest of the monuments dating back to the 2nd century AD… it has amazing views over the surrounding landscapes!
- The Walls! – Don’t forget to walk the two incomplete concentric walls.. full of history in their own right..
If only we’d had more time, we’d have loved to take in the Megaliths tour to the SW of Evora, but time was pressing and we had a date in Sintra… so we treked further north… for hopefully a special weekend in Lisbon!
so where did we park the bus for the night?
Summary Need to escape for a few days? Want to compare weekend breaks to top cities such as Bordeaux, Rome or Copenhagen? Does your family love to explore new cities too? Do you also think that city breaks aren't just for adults and are a great way to learn, relax and bond as a family. If so, grab a seat, make yourself comfortable & discover some of the favourite 'family friendly' cities we've visited in our 700+ day European Roadtrip